Are you planning to take up virtual assistant as your career? Find out who is a virtual assistant, qualities of a virtual assistant, pros and cons of virtual assistant and how to become a virtual assistant in detail.
In the present era, there is a significant increase in work-at-home-moms. Do you know why? This gives an opportunity for a woman to manage both her personal as well as professional life. Many unusual yet interesting jobs are available online; all you have to do is identify your strengths and choose the job that is best suited for you. Are you planning to become a virtual assistant? Do you wish to know how to become a virtual assistant, pros and cons of becoming a virtual assistant, etc.? Take a look at this guide to becoming a virtual assistant.
Image via merrickmgt
Who or What is a Virtual Assistant?
Virtual Assistant or VA is an entrepreneur who provides professional administrative, technical, or creative (social) assistance to clients from a home office. Duties of a Virtual Assistant may include answering phone calls, updating websites, writing articles, providing Search Engine Optimization services, typing manuscripts, managing HR functions, designing a website, data entry, event management, etc., for a client.
How to become a Virtual Assistant:
Are you good at secretarial and computer skills? Do you have access to a computer with Internet connection? This is all you require to become a Virtual Assistant (VA). These are some of the basic qualities that clients expect from a Virtual Assistant. As said above, some clients may ask Virtual Assistants to write articles or manage websites or convert files from one form to other, etc.
Pros or Advantages of Becoming a Virtual Assistant:
1. You can be at home, take care of your child and at the same time earn money and support your family financially.
2. You are your own boss as long as you meet the deadlines provided by your client for a specified project.
3. You as a virtual assistant have the opportunity of working for various clients at the same time on the contrary to working for a single job from 9 to 5.
4. Do you have to spend some time with your baby and then want to continue your work? Yes…you get time flexibility, which you don’t have in your regular job.
5. Think of the amount you spend on transportation when you have a regular job. You can save money on your transportation when working as a Virtual Assistant.
Cons or Disadvantages of Becoming a Virtual Assistant:
1. You work alone and this might sometime look very boring. This is something that you have to give a thought if you are a social person and who requires a lot of motivation from others to complete a job.
2. You might have to work on a project basis if you don’t get a client who requests your service very often. This may be a problem if you are looking for regular pay checks.
You have finally made the decision of becoming a Virtual Assistant; where to find jobs is the next question you have in your mind. There are various online freelance job websites like Elance, Guru, Scriptlance, etc., are available where you jobs for Virtual Assistants are posted on a daily basis. Get signed up with these freelance job websites and place your bid. Write an excellent cover letter that details your experience and why you are fit for the job that is posted.
All the best for your Virtual Assistant career!